Friday, October 25, 2013

Success: Learning out of sight stays!

Out of sight stays.
This was one of our goals for October. And with lots of practice at meal times, Lucy is finally starting to get the hang of out-of-sight stays (no distractions yet). I’m really surprised at  how she just became rock solid at this all of a sudden. Lol -  a month ago she had zero concept with this. Lol if I even turned my back for a second she might break the stay. Now, I can leave the room for thirty-sixty seconds and she’ll maintain the stay. Not trying to torture her for anything longer than that.

This is important for a lot of reasons. I.E. having dogs be calm and in one place while I’m busy doing something and don’t want them getting in the way/tripping over them. There are just a lot of random situations where it’s good to have the dog stay for a short period of time. Plus, it’s a fun mental game for doggie.

We’ll just continue to do it in lots of situations. Not going to add distractions + out of sight stay for awhile because I just want her to keep up the good work on this one for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment